HEINEKEN Ireland 2016 Performance Update
Date:15th February 2017
Maggie Timoney, MD HEINEKEN Ireland, commented:
“2016 saw growth for HEINEKEN Ireland across both the On Trade and Off Trade Channels. Our share of Long Alcohol Drinks (LAD*) market grew by 0.8%, driven by growth in Heineken® and a strong innovation performance, led by Orchard Thieves”.
2016: HEINEKEN Ireland grows in the Long Alcohol Drinks (LAD*) market:
- HEINEKEN Ireland grew its share of the total LAD market by 0.8%, growing in both the On and Off Trade Channels.
- The Heineken® brand grew market share in both channels, supported by the successful introduction of Heineken® Light.
- HEINEKEN Ireland’s share of the total cider market jumped to 11.2%, driven by Orchard Thieves.
- Orchard Thieves, is now the No. 2 cider brand in the market place in both channels, commanding 10.3% of the Total Cider Market.
- 2016 was another year of share growth for Coors Light (+0.4%), maintaining its position as the No. 1 bottled beer in the On Trade.
- Like for like revenues for HEINEKEN Ireland increased by 4% reflecting the change in our wholesale business model.
Highlights of the 2016 Irish Beer & Cider Market:
- The Irish Long Alcohol Drinks (LAD) market grew by 2.1%, with volumes now at 4.97m Hls (hectolitres).
- Within the LAD category, beer market volumes grew by +1.5%, with volumes now 4.3m Hls (hectoliters).
- Following a decline in 2015 (-3.3%), the Cider category has returned to positive growth (+6.5%), driven by good weather over the summer months as well as a strong performance by Orchard Thieves which has re-invigorated the category.
- 2016 saw the total On Trade channel return to growth (volume +1.3%).
- Volume in the Off Trade channel grew (+1.9%), with value growth ahead at +2.7%.
About HEINEKEN Ireland
HEINEKEN Ireland is a wholly owned subsidiary of HEINEKEN N.V., the most international brewer in the world. Based in Cork since 1856, the brewery combines a long and proud brewing tradition with the most up to date technology and innovative marketing. HEINEKEN Ireland employs 412 people across the Island of Ireland.
The brewery’s portfolio includes Heineken®, Heineken® Light, Orchard Thieves, Orchard Thieves Light, Desperados, Tiger, Coors Light, Fosters, Sol, Beamish Stout, Murphy’s Stout, and our range of specialty beers, which includes Affligem, Paulaner, Moretti, Zywiec & Cute Hoor.